Job Opportunity with the Massachusetts Public Health Association
Part-time Policy Associate
Click here to apply
The Massachusetts Public Health Association (MPHA) is the champion for public health in the Commonwealth. We are a catalyst for change, eliminating health inequities and creating healthy communities for all. As a statewide membership organization, MPHA engages local leaders, state organizations, public officials, and others to improve the health of all the Commonwealth’s residents.
Promoting racial justice is a core component of MPHA’s work and identity. As MPHA pursues policy changes to promote health equity, we strive to confront the history of racial discrimination that has been embedded in public policy. MPHA’s Health Equity Policy Framework is designed to guide us in addressing all forms of health inequities in our external work and internal practices. The framework places special emphasis on racial inequities because we believe that this injustice needs explicit attention.
The Policy Associate will be a core part of a four-person Policy & Field Team working to advance MPHA’s policy agenda and support MPHA-led coalitions. The position is based in our downtown Boston office and reports to the Director of Public Policy & Campaign Strategy. This is a 20 hour per week position, with flexibility in scheduling during business hours.
The Policy Associate will:
- Support MPHA-led coalition efforts, including managing coalition membership, meeting agendas and logistics, and communications. Actively support coalition advocacy activities and the engagement and retention of members.
- Track and analyze policy developments related to MPHA priorities, including monitoring the state budget, legislation, and regulations.
- Coordinate and support advocacy activities, including State House and field outreach, advocacy events, panels for public hearings, etc.
- Draft materials to support MPHA advocacy, including testimony, reports, fact sheets, action alerts, blog posts, and talking points.
- Conduct research to support MPHA and coalition advocacy.
- Represent MPHA at external meetings, including meetings at the State House, as needed.
- Execute other duties as assigned.
We understand that there are many paths to acquiring experience. Therefore, we welcome candidates from diverse and nontraditional backgrounds for this role, including those who have demonstrated transferable skills to carry out the major duties outlined in this job description.
- Commitment to health equity, racial justice, and the mission of MPHA.
- Ability to anticipate challenges in advance and take a leading role driving work forward.
- Fast and enthusiastic learner interested in growing knowledge in a wide variety of topic areas.
- Exceptionally organized with strong attention to detail.
- Strong time management and multi-tasking capabilities and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of external partners (e.g., grassroots leaders, policymakers, organizational staff, health care leaders, etc.) with flexibility and professional maturity.
- Experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in decision-making processes and in assessing the impacts and outcomes of decisions.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- Bachelor’s degree plus minimum of one year of experience working in public health policy, politics or a related field as an employee, intern, or volunteer; or an Associate degree plus two years’ experience. Three years of related work experience may be substituted for an undergraduate degree.
Occasional in-state travel is necessary. Availability for occasional early morning, evening, or weekend events and meetings is required.
MPHA is an equal opportunity employer committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of the people of Massachusetts. We make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply.
The Disparities Solutions Center has been selected as a Technical Assistance Vendor for the MassHealth DSRIP TA Program!
The Disparities Solutions Center is pleased to announce that we have been selected as a Technical Assistance Vendor for the MassHealth Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment Technical Assistance (DSRIP TA) Program and the TA Marketplace. MassHealth, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program, has partnered with Abt Associates Inc to manage the TA Program. The program provides Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) and Community Partners (CPs) with resources and support in nine domains to strengthen their ability to improve MassHealth member health outcomes and experience. The DSC was selected through a highly competitive process to provide targeted TA in the performance improvement domain to ACOs and CPs throughout Massachusetts. Our organization’s profile can be viewed on the MA DSRIP TA Marketplace here, and additional information on the DSRIP TA program is available here.